Hair and scalp issues are common and can have a distressing impact on your appearance. When this occurs, Dr. Berkowitz can treat the full range of disorders that affect this area.
Common scalp issues
Before & After Hair Restoration in MichiganView More
Alopecia areata is a medical condition that is characterized by hair loss in round patches. It can last for years, but the hair often grows back eventually.
- Diagnosis: To diagnose this condition, Dr. Berkowitz will extract a few hairs from your scalp and examine them under a microscope. In some cases, a skin biopsy will be necessary to obtain a definitive diagnosis.
- Treatment: Alopecia areata is not a curable condition. However, many patients experience hair regrowth in about a year. In the meantime, certain treatments can encourage your hair to grow back. They include corticosteroids and Minoxidil.
Dandruff is a common condition characterized by dry, itchy scalp skin, which results in white flakes appearing on your hair and shoulders. It can be particularly noticeable if you have dark hair and wear dark colored clothing.
- Diagnosis: Most people can self-diagnose dandruff based on the presence of white flakes and an itchy, dry scalp.
- Treatment: Dandruff can be treated by brushing your hair regularly and using over-the-counter dandruff shampoos. If you’re still experiencing symptoms, Dr. Berkowitz can provide you with a prescription shampoo or topical medication that may help.
Psoriasis can occur anywhere. When it appears on the scalp, it causes red patches, flakiness, dryness, itching, bleeding, temporary hair loss and soreness. The symptoms may come and go, and they can range in seriousness from mild to severe.
Diagnosis: A diagnosis of scalp psoriasis can often be made by simply looking at the area. In some cases, Dr. Berkowitz will also remove a small piece of tissue, which will be closely examined at a lab to confirm the presence of the condition.
Treatment: There are a number of highly effective solutions available for scalp psoriasis. They include:
- Topical medications. In most cases, prescription-strength shampoos, creams, and oils will be the first treatment approach Dr. Berkowitz recommends.
- Corticosteroids. If you have mild symptoms in just a few locations on your scalp, Dr. Berkowitz may inject steroids directly into the area.
- Laser treatments. If topical medications aren’t resolving your symptoms, in-office laser treatments may offer some relief.
Schedule a Consultation
Don’t let hair and scalp issues affect your quality of life. Contact our Michigan office today to schedule an appointment and get the symptom relief you deserve. Learn more
Hereditary hair loss is a distressing condition that affects approximately 80 million U.S. men and women each year.
Diagnosis: Dr. Berkowitz will diagnose hereditary hair loss by examining a sample of your hair under a microscope. In some cases, he may also take a scalp sample and run blood tests to look for a related condition.
Treatment: When treating hereditary hair loss for men and women, Dr. Berkowitz is proud to use NeoGraft FUE. It gently extracts hair follicles one by one and transplants them to thinning areas on your scalp. It has a number of benefits, including:
- Extremely effective
- No incisions, stitches or scarring
- Minimal downtime and discomfort
- Can be performed without sedation
Learn more about Hair Restoration here >>