What is an Arm Lift?
Brachioplasty, also known as an arm lift, is a cosmetic surgery that makes your upper arms look tighter, more toned, and more defined. The procedure removes unwanted fat tissues, removes excess skin, and tightens the remaining skin to give you toned and taut arms. This procedure is especially popular amongst individuals with sagging skin or fat tissues under the upper arms. When you raise your arms, try shaking the upper arms — if you see loose skin folds, you’re probably a good candidate for an arm lift. However, if you opt for an arm lift, you should be prepared for an extended recovery period.
Reasons for an Arm Lift
- Drooping skin tissues under the arms
- Excess fat tissues under the arms
- Loose underarm skin due to aging or weight fluctuations
You’re a Candidate if You…
- Have unwanted fat tissues or drooping skin tissues under the arms.
- Are in generally good physical health.
- Have realistic expectations from the procedure.
- If you are a nonsmoker or willing to stop smoking before the procedure.
- Have maintained stable weights for at least six months.
- Don’t have a history of connective tissue disorders, like Ehlers Danlos.
- Don’t have a history of severe bleeding disorders.
Your Arm Lift Consultation in Michigan
Your arm lift surgery starts with a personal consultation with the exceptional plastic surgeons at Accents Cosmetic Surgery. We carefully review your medical history, examine the skin tissues on your arms, and discuss your cosmetic goals to determine if you’re a viable candidate. We also run some laboratory tests, including a chest x-ray or an electrocardiogram, to ensure you can proceed with the surgery. Based on the assessment and your specific goals, we curate the ideal arm lift treatment plan and walk you through the entire process. We also provide a detailed list of preparatory guidelines.
Preparing for Your Arm Lift in Michigan
- Stop smoking at least one to two months before the procedure.
- Stop taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, a few weeks before the surgery.
- Go for all your examinations and tests to ensure you don’t have underlying medical conditions.
- Take at least one week off work and social activities to recover at home.
- Arrange to have someone drive you to and from the surgical center.
The Arm Lift Surgery in Detroit
The arm lift is performed as an outpatient procedure in our accredited surgical center. The surgeon will provide local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia, depending on the surgical techniques and their recommendations. The incisions can be made on your arms, on the back of your arms, in the armpit, or from the top of the elbow to the armpit. The incision style will depend on the amount of sagging that needs to be addressed. The surgeon will trim away excess skin tissues, remove unwanted fat tissues, and suture the incisions closed. If the surgeon can’t reach harder spots in your arms, the unwanted fat pockets may be removed via liposuction. The entire procedure concludes within three hours.
Recovering from an Arm Lift
You’ll need to wear compression garments during the recovery to minimize swelling and other side effects. The surgeon will temporarily place drainage tubes into the skin to prevent fluid accumulation. Most patients can resume work and their daily activities within a week or two, but some patients might need longer. You should wait at least six weeks before you resume all of your normal activities. The results appear instantly and last for several years. Small scars can be hidden underneath short shirt sleeves. But if you have a longer scar, you’ll have to wait for it to gradually fade away, which should take a few months. Our cosmetic surgeons will provide a detailed aftercare guideline to heal the scars.
Schedule a Consultation
Your ideal body can be yours. Contact our Michigan office today to schedule an appointment, and discover what Renuvion with Dr. Berkowitz can do for you. Learn more