The tummy tuck is done to sculpt a fit and flat abdomen. It’s commonly performed due to pregnancy, weight loss and age-related changes to the abdominal area.
The tummy tuck is designed to…
- Flatten and contour the abdomen
- Remove loose skin and unwanted belly fat
- Tighten the underlying muscles
- Remove stretch marks from the lower abdomen
Quick Quiz: Will you benefit from a tummy tuck?
- Do you have stretch marks, loose skin and flab on your abdomen?
- Is unwanted belly flab harming your self-confidence?
- Are you close to your ideal body weight?
- Are you finished having children?
- Does your abdomen look permanently different after pregnancy or weight loss?
If you answered “yes” to all of those questions, there is a good chance that you are an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck.
Your tummy tuck options
The traditional, full tummy tuck is the most commonly performed option. It involves an incision that extends from hip-to-hip, along with a cut around the naval. It can address flab, loose skin and lax muscles across the entire abdomen and often involves repositioning the belly button.
A mini tummy tuck is ideal for men and women who want to exclusively address unwanted flab on the lower abdomen.
It involves one, small incision and does not require moving the navel. As such, this approach is associated with a shorter recovery time.
If you want your tummy tuck to include removing “love handles,” an extended version of the procedure may be for you.
It involves an incision that extends behind the hips and allows for maximum removal of unwanted fat and sagging skin.
What to expect during your procedure
Your tummy tuck with Dr. Berkowitz will be done under general anesthesia, which means you will be completely asleep. Depending on the technique you choose, the procedure can last anywhere from 90 minutes to several hours.
To begin, Dr. Berkowitz will carefully create incisions in the target area. Although some scarring is inevitable, he will place these cuts strategically so that they are virtually imperceptible when you’re wearing clothing and swimwear.
Through those openings, Dr. Berkowitz will remove unwanted fat, tighten your underlying muscles and trim away excess skin.
If you are having an extended or full tummy tuck, he may also change the position of your belly button so that it’s in a more natural location on your new, toned abdomen.
Schedule a Consultation
A tummy tuck can make your ideal abdomen a reality. Contact our Michigan office today to schedule an appointment and discover what this procedure with Dr. Berkowitz can do for you. Learn more
As you recover from your tummy tuck, you will need to adhere to the following general guidelines in addition to personalized instructions from Dr. Berkowitz:
- Stay home from work for at least two weeks
- Walk lightly around the house as soon as possible to promote healing
- Arrange for someone to help you care for young children
- Sleep with your head elevated for at least two weeks