What is a Mini Tummy Tuck?
A mini tummy tuck is a modified and less invasive form of the traditional abdominoplasty procedure. It aims to tighten and strengthen the abdominal muscles and remove excess skin tissues, giving you a firm and sculpted stomach. This procedure is meant for patients close to their ideal weight but needs a little help to eliminate the excess skin and fat tissues that you can’t eliminate with traditional methods like workouts and diets.
At Accents Cosmetic Surgery, we use the most advanced techniques to flatten the lower abdomen and remove the excess skin tissues. We suture the muscles in your lower abdomen and trim away the excess skin tissues, making the muscles appear prominently against your taut skin. If you have unwanted pockets of stubborn fat, we might use liposuction to eliminate the fat tissues. The mini tummy tuck involves minimal downtime and a recovery period.
Mini Tummy Tuck vs. Full Tummy Tuck
- Area: A mini tummy tuck is performed on the lower abdomen, whereas a full tummy tuck is performed on a larger part of the stomach.
- Skin Trimming: The mini tummy tuck involves removing smaller amounts of skin tissues and fat tissues, whereas a full tummy tuck involves trimming away large amounts of sagging skin to tighten the stomach.
- Incision: The mini tummy tuck necessitates a small incision about the size of a c-section scar, but a full tummy tuck involves a large incision made from hip bone to hip bone.
- Diastasis Recti: Pregnancy leads to the separation of ab muscles, known as diastasis recti. A full tummy tuck is more capable of addressing this issue rather than a mini tummy tuck.
- Belly Button: The full tummy tuck might involve reshaping the belly button, but the mini tummy tuck doesn’t involve reshaping the belly button.
Reasons for a Mini Tummy Tuck
- You want more contoured, sculpted, and defined abdominals.
- You’ve been working out regularly but can’t get rid of the unwanted fat.
- Significant weight loss has left you with sagging skin tissues.
You’re a Candidate if You…
- Have excess skin or unwanted fat in your lower tummy.
- Have a lack of definition in your abdominal muscles.
- Are in generally good physical health.
- Have realistic expectations from the procedure.
- Don’t have underlying medical conditions that preclude surgery.
- Don’t have a history of severe bleeding disorders.
- If you are a nonsmoker or willing to stop smoking a few weeks before the procedure.
Your Mini Tummy Tuck Consultation in Michigan
Your mini tummy tuck procedure starts with a private consultation with the exceptional board-certified plastic surgeons at Accents Cosmetic Surgery. They review your medical history, examine the abdomen, and discuss your cosmetic goals to curate the ideal treatment plan. They determine if you’re a viable candidate for a mini tummy tuck or if you’re better served with a full tummy tuck. They’ll also walk you through the entire tummy tuck procedure, including the incision style and location, aftercare, recovery, and preparation. You’ll have to stop smoking and taking certain nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for a few weeks to ensure optimal recovery.
The Mini Tummy Tuck Surgery in Detroit
The mini tummy tuck surgery is performed as an outpatient procedure at our accredited surgical center in Detroit. The procedure is performed under local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia, depending on the surgeon’s recommendation and your preference. The surgeon makes a small incision on the lower abdomen measuring about 4 to 8 inches wide, i.e., the same length as a c-section scar. If you already have a c-section scar, the surgeon will use that as an incision point instead of creating a new incision. The surgeon will tighten and suture the muscles, remove excess skin, and possibly suction away the excess fat. Finally, the incision will be closed and bandaged.
Recovering from a Mini Tummy Tuck
You’ll have to wear a compression garment or abdominal binder around the stomach for a few weeks to support the recovery process. The results are instantaneous, but you’ll truly appreciate the results when the swelling, redness, and bruising dissipate in a few weeks. Most patients can resume daily activities and work in a week or two, depending on their body’s specific recovery journey. However, you must avoid strenuous workouts for at least a month or two. The scar will gradually fade away and become imperceptible within a year. The results are permanent, but you must maintain your weight with a healthy lifestyle.
Schedule a Consultation
A tummy tuck can make your ideal abdomen a reality. Contact our Michigan office today to schedule an appointment and discover what this procedure with Dr. Berkowitz can do for you. Contact Us