What is a Breast Lift?
Mastopexy, also known as a breast lift, is a surgical procedure to reposition sagging or drooping breast tissues. The procedure makes your breasts appear perkier, positioning the nipples higher on the chest wall. Breast lifts also involve removing excess skin and fat tissues to tighten your breasts, making them appear firm, taut, and youthful. A breast lift is prevalent amongst women who have lost their breasts’ youthful firmness because of age, pregnancy, breastfeeding, genetics, or other factors. Accents Cosmetic Surgery is led by highly-skilled plastic surgeons specializing in advanced breast lift techniques to provide the desired results.
Reasons for a Breast Lift
- Your breasts have lost their youthful appearance due to age, genetics, weight changes, or pregnancy.
- Your breasts are sagging or drooping down.
- Your nipples and areola point downwards instead of straight ahead.
- Your nipples and areolas look stretched and flat.
- One of your breasts hangs lower than the other.
You’re a Candidate if You…
- Have sagging, hanging, flattened, or downward-pointing breasts.
- Are in generally good physical health.
- Have realistic expectations from the procedure.
- Don’t have underlying medical conditions that preclude surgery.
- Aren’t a smoker or willing to stop smoking before the procedure.
- Don’t have breast cancer or other underlying conditions.
Your Breast Lift Consultation in Michigan
Your breast lift in Michigan starts with a private consultation with the exceptional cosmetic surgeons at Accents Cosmetic Surgery. We carefully examine your breasts, review your medical history, discuss your cosmetic goals, and run some tests to determine if you’re a viable candidate. If so, we curate the ideal treatment plan and walk you through the entire process, so you have complete clarity. It’s worth noting that breast lifts only change your breasts' orientation and positioning, making them look tighter and firmer. If you also want to increase their size, we might recommend combining your lift with a breast augmentation.
Preparatory Tips for Your Breast Lift in Michigan
- Stop smoking several weeks before the breast lift procedure.
- Stop taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, like Aspirin, before the procedure.
- Arrange for some professional and social downtime to recover from the procedure.
- Keep the necessary painkillers and gauze at home.
- Arrange to have someone drive you to and from the surgical center.
The Breast Lift Surgery in Detroit
Your breast lift is performed on an outpatient basis in our surgical center in Detroit. Depending on the surgical technique and the surgeon’s preference, the procedure is performed under local anesthesia with sedatives or general anesthesia. The surgeon will mark the incision areas and the area where the nipples will be repositioned. Once the anesthesia kicks in, the surgeon will make incisions to remove the extra skin, remove unwanted fat, and lift your breast tissues. The nipples will be repositioned to make them point straight ahead. If you want an augmentation, the implant will be placed above or below the chest wall. Finally, the incisions will be closed, and your breasts will be bandaged.
Recovering from a Breast Lift
The drains and bandages will be removed a day or two after the breast lift procedure. You may need pain medications to handle the pain and discomfort for the first week. You’ll also need to wear a surgical bra to support your breasts. The stitches will be removed after two to three weeks. You can resume most of your daily activities within a week, but you should avoid strenuous workouts for at least a month. However, everyone has a unique recovery process, so you might need to take more or less time off than others. The scars will gradually fade away and become imperceptible within a year.
Schedule a Consultation
Restore your elevated chest with a breast lift with Dr. Berkowitz. Contact our Michigan office today to schedule an appointment and discover what this procedure can do for you. Learn more