What is Breast Reduction?
Breast reduction is a surgical procedure that removes excess fat and skin tissues from the breasts to reduce their size. This procedure is suitable for women with overly large breasts that cause neck pain, back pain, and other problems. It’s also suitable for women with disproportionate breasts or athletes who want to improve their performance. Breast reduction is also a viable option for men with gynecomastia, i.e., abnormally large male breasts. Breast reduction is a major surgery involving considerable downtime and a long recovery process.
Reasons for Breast Reduction
- You have overly large breasts.
- Your breasts are asymmetrical.
- Your breast size is disproportionate to your body.
- Your breasts cause neck pain and back pain.
- You want to improve your athletic performance by reducing the breast size.
- You’re a man suffering from gynecomastia, i.e., male breasts.
You’re a Candidate if You…
- Are in generally good physical health.
- Have realistic expectations from the procedure.
- Don’t smoke or are willing to stop smoking.
- Are self-conscious about your overly large breasts.
- Want smaller breasts for functional purposes.
- Experience back pain, neck pain, etc.
- Have skin irritation due to the breasts.
- Don’t have a history of severe bleeding disorders.
Your Breast Reduction Consultation in Detroit
Your breast reduction surgery starts with a comprehensive consultation with the exceptional surgeons at Accents Cosmetic Surgery. Our talented surgeons discuss your cosmetic goals and concerns, review your medical history, and determine if you’ve got underlying medical conditions that might affect the surgery. They’ll also discuss your family history of medical conditions.
The surgeons will take photographs of your breasts, measure the skin quality, distance, proportionality, and nipples, and discuss your treatment options. The surgeons will walk you through the entire breast reduction treatment process, from preparation to recovery. They’ll also provide a list of preparatory guidelines to improve the surgery’s results and the chance of success.
Preparatory Tips for Breast Reduction in Michigan
- If you’re a smoker, stop smoking at least two weeks before the procedure.
- Stop taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, herbal supplements, etc.
- Take some time off work to recover from the breast reduction.
- Arrange for someone to drive you to and from the surgical center.
- Prepare at home by collecting ice, clean washcloths and gauze, loose clothes, and special ointments for the incision marks.
The Breast Reduction Surgery in Detroit
Breast reduction surgery is performed as an outpatient procedure in our state-of-the-art surgical center. The procedure is performed under general anesthesia, so you’re not awake or conscious. The entire procedure takes 2 to 5 hours, depending on your specific goals and concerns.
- The following are the available breast surgery techniques, depending on your specific goals:
- Liposuction: During the liposuction phase, the surgeon makes a small incision on the skin and inserts a tube to suction away the fat from your breasts. This method is suitable for patients desiring minor size adjustments.
- Lollipop Incision: If you need moderate adjustments, the surgeon will make a “lollipop” incision around your areola and down underneath the breast fold. The unwanted fat and skin tissues are removed via the incision.
- Anchor Incision: If you need massive reductions or experience excess sagging, the surgeon will make an incision around the edge of the areola and lead it down underneath the breast. This allows the surgeon to remove and sculpt large amounts of breast tissues.
Once the excess breast tissues are removed, the incisions are closed with sutures. The breasts are wrapped in compression garments or a special gauze after attaching drainage tubes. You’ll have to wear a special surgical bra for a few weeks to aid the healing process.
Recovering from Breast Reduction
Breast reduction is a major surgical procedure involving an extended recovery period. You have to take at least one week off your work to recover from the surgery. You’ll experience some swelling, redness, and bruising around the treatment areas for a few days or weeks. The surgeons will ask you to avoid strenuous physical activities for at least one month, but you can resume non-intensive activities within a week. Your surgeon will discuss the specific recovery guidelines in person. The scars will be highly-visible for a few weeks, but they’ll gradually fade over several months.
Schedule a Consultation
Remove excess fat and skin tissue with a breast reduction with Dr. Berkowitz. Contact our Michigan office today to schedule an appointment and discover what this procedure can do for you. Learn more